It is an authorization that enables you to stay in Spain for a period of more than ninety days to carry out or extend your studies in an authorized educational center in Spain, in a full-time program, leading to obtaining a degree or certificate of studies.

Who can apply for this card?

Anyone who is going to carry out training in Spain. The stay will have a duration of 1 year or the duration of our training.

Requirements that we must meet:

1.- Any formation is valid. It is necessary to have paid the processing fee for the procedure and to have been admitted to an authorized educational center in Spain, to carry out a full-time program, which leads to obtaining a degree or certificate of studies.

2.- Sufficient economic means must be demonstrated to be able to live and do this training: minimum 100% of the IPREM (around €540 per month, equivalent to €6,500 per year, but I recommend that with the current situation it be a higher amount). This can be demonstrated with the money in the bank account, with the economic means of a family member, with a scholarship, etc. The amounts used to defray the cost of the studies will not be computed for these purposes.

3.- Private medical insurance with a company that operates in Spain. It must be without copay, full, and cover repatriation.

In the event that the duration of the stay exceeds six months, the following will be required:

– Lack of a criminal record in Spain and in their previous countries of residence during the last five years for crimes existing in the Spanish legal system.

– Not suffering from any of the diseases that may have serious public health repercussions in accordance with the provisions of the 2005 International Health Regulations.

Documents that we must provide for the application.

If the procedure is initiated from outside of Spain:

– National visa application form, in official model, in duplicate, duly completed and signed by the foreigner or his representative. Said form can be obtained on the website of the corresponding consulate at

– Valid passport or travel document, recognized as valid in Spain, with a minimum validity of the period for which the stay is requested.

If the procedure is started in Spain:

– Application form in official model (EX00, duly completed and signed by the foreigner.).

– Passport as proof that you are regularly in Spanish territory and that the application is submitted at least one month before the expiration date of your situation.

In addition, supporting documentation of the above requirements must be provided:

– Documentation accrediting having the financial means necessary for the period requested and for the return to the country of origin.

– Documentation proving that you have health insurance.

– Documentation accrediting being admitted to a teaching center, admitting a letter of admission or a certificate of enrollment, among other options.

If the duration of the stay exceeds six months:

– Medical certificate certifying that you do not suffer from any of the diseases with repercussions on public health.

– If you are of legal age, a criminal record certificate issued by the authorities of the country of origin or the country in which you have resided during the last five years.

Important note: when documents from other countries are provided, they must be translated into Spanish or the co-official language of the territory where the application is submitted. On the other hand, all foreign public documents must be previously legalized by the Spanish Consular Office with jurisdiction in the country in which said document was issued or, as the case may be, by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation, except in the case in which said document has been apostilled by the competent Authority of the issuing country according to the Hague Convention of October 5, 1961 and unless said document is exempt from legalization by virtue of the International Convention. For more information on the translation and legalization of documents, you can consult the information sheet.

How is permission requested?

If you are outside of Spain: at the Spanish consulate where you reside. You must provide the documentation of the file there, and they will stamp your visa once the authorization is granted.

If you are already in Spain: electronically to the immigration office. For it to come out favourable, it must be within the period of legal stay, with at least 30 days of margin before requesting authorization. If it is done outside that period, the request will be denied.

Aspects to consider:
Can I work with this authorization?

The stay card for studies does not entail the possibility of working. However, once the stay for studies has been authorized, we can request a work authorization from the Immigration Office. It must be a complementary activity to studies and cannot be our source of economic support. It will have the same validity as our student card. The main authorization is the stay for studies and not the work authorization.

Can family members come with the student?

With the student relative visa, the spouse or common-law partner and minor children can come with us. This visa must be requested by the student’s relative personally or through a representative.

• Place of presentation: Spanish diplomatic mission or consular office in whose demarcation the relative of the foreign student resides.

• Time to apply for the relative’s visa: it may be applied for simultaneously with the student’s study visa, or at any later time within the period of validity of the stay authorization for studies.

• To be granted, it must be proved that the foreigner has sufficient economic means to support the family unit, the family or kinship bond and, in the case of children over eighteen years of age, documentation proving that they are not objectively capable.

• Relatives’ authorization will be linked to that of the student, and they may remain in Spanish territory for the same period and in the same situation as the student.

• If relatives stay for more than six months, they must obtain a foreign identity card.

• Those student’s relatives may not obtain, in any case, authorization to carry out lucrative activities.

Resolution of the request

The maximum period for notifying the resolution is one month from the day following the date of presentation of the application at the immigration office responsible for its processing. Once this period has elapsed without the Administration having given an express response, it may be understood that the request has been rejected due to administrative silence.

0 comentarios

Deja una respuesta

Marcador de posición del avatar

Tu dirección de correo electrónico no será publicada. Los campos obligatorios están marcados con *

Abogados Extranjería en Alicante